Sunday, August 3, 2008

NY Times

Today I spent $5 to purchase a copy of the New York Times at one of the numerous local Starbucks in my neighborhood (no I didn't buy any coffee but that is another story). I don't buy the Times very often but every time I do, I am lulled into a false sense of hope by their catchy by line, "All the News that's Fit to Print". Almost without exception, at least for my take it never turns out that way. Don't get me wrong the science and business sections are good but the politically correct one-sided editorial staff destroys the concept of even handiness every time. The selection for front page news today proves my point.

"Deported, by U.S. Hospitals" is about some poor illegal immigrant without health care insurance that was run over by a drunk driver in Florida (of course it was a drunk driver, soon we will be able to use "climate changer" with almost the same connotation). We are supposed to feel sorry for this guy because he was sent back to his own country by the hospital after treating him to the tune of $1.5mm. Unfortunately his country has no support for poor people in his condition so his toothless mother has to take care of him herself and he is going down hill. I'm sorry I don't feel compelled to want to fight for his right to stay here as a burden on society. He came, it didn't work out and he should go home, end of story.

The Times reports that Hospitals do this all the time. The way they sneak their view into the story is by stating it is "a little-known but apparently widespread practice". How could the mean hospitals do such a thing? The Times go on to report about the law suit (this is America after all) and describes the financial condition of the hospital trying to drag us into one of their typical populist arguments, "us against the large corporate villains".

Look no one wants people to get hurt but the guy was here illegally trying to make a go of it so he could send money back to his family, all the while skirting taxes and the other duties of citizenship on the way. It didn't work out, so too bad. I shiver to think that if I raped a woman with AIDS, the Times would come to my rescue by putting my sad fate on the front page as well. They could put forth the case that I must have had a troubled childhood and it really wasn't my fault and that the drug companies should have cured the woman before I raped her. Since this didn't happen they should give me free access to what ever I need to live a healthy better life than I had before being infected. Well so much for my $5 it didn't work out, again.

No comments: